Thursday, August 07, 2008

a real attempt

Ok, folks, I have made a decision. And it's a biggie, so prepare yourselves.

For the next month I am going to actually try. Try what you ask? Everything. I'm going to eat well, exercise, communicate with my husband, work hard at my job, keep my house clean, not watch too much TV, make sure that Darwin is being constantly stimulated, etc.

I expect that life will fix everything for me, that all the little pieces will fall into place on their own and I will always be taken care of. Obviously that isn't actually true, so I am going to put in a real effort at taking control of my own life, at being the person I want to be.

So this is it. August is the month where I give it a go.

We'll see if it works.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It was wonderful to see you last night, as always. Sorry I didn't help more..
I'm excited to hear that you're going to try. If I can, I'd love to extract a promise from you along the way.. No self mutilation. Every time you do something the way you hoped, hearty congratulations for yourself. Ms. Forrest taught us this, and I think it works.
Love you.
Roop

6:10 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I think that's fabulous. It's amazing how much we actually don't try in life--especially when we're used to getting the things we want fairly readily.

Can I make a suggestion? How about getting specific with some of those goals? For example: this month I will do chores on Saturday morning, do something physical once a week, initiate three meaningful conversations with J, and so forth.

One of the things I learned in my group is that it's easier to track my progress when I can measure my goals more easily (i.e., I will put myself in x amount of social situations instead of a more vast but undefinable goal), AND to make those goals small and manageable. I got to see myself getting better at the little steps, which led to a grand getting better overall. It was easier--in many ways--to think about the idea of going out to dinner with my in-laws than it was to give a speech in front of a huge crowd.

Obviously you can tell me to piss off; I'm just passing along what I have found helpful. Cause I want to see you succeed.

xoxo

8:11 PM  
Blogger Christin Khan said...

Giving life your best shot is always a good idea :)

Love you,

X10

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home